1. To help the Christian understand that temptation is not sin.
2. To help equip the Christian to overcome the temptation to sin.
A. I Peter 5:8-9
1. What is one source of temptation?
2. What does Satan want to do to you?
3. You are a target.
B. Romans 8:5-17 / James 1:13-15
1. What is another source of temptation?
2. How do you put to death the misdeeds of the body?
3. What are the steps leading to spiritual death?
C. I Corinthians 10:13
1. What is true about every temptation you face?
2. Who can give you victory when you're tempted?
3. Does God remove temptation?
4. What does he do for you?
5. When you give in to temptation, it is never because you cannot help it. It is because you choose to. Choose life! There is always a way out! (James 4:7)
D. Matthew 4:1-11
1. What kind of temptation did Jesus face?
2. How did Jesus overcome temptation?
E. Hebrews 4:14-16
1. Were the temptations Jesus faced in the desert the only ones he ever encountered?
2. How does this scripture make you feel?
F. II Thessalonians 3:3
What does it mean that "the Lord is faithfully"?
What will the Lord do for you?
G. Conditions for Victory Over Temptation
1. Be alert I Peter 5:8In many cases a Christian is defeated because he/she was not alert to the possibility of temptation.
2. Be quick James 1: 13-15Don't flirt with sin. You will lose. Temptation must be dealt with as soon as it becomes evident.
3. Know how to escape I Corinthians 10:13Avoid situations which have led to compromise in the past. Develop a specific plan of action to be put into effect when temptation arises.
4. Pray for victory Matthew 26:41Begin each day by praying for strength in the area of temptation.
H. Share a recent victory over sin with the new Christian.
1. Memory verse: I Corinthians 10:13
2. Continue Foundations.
3. Begin memorizing order of Old Testament: Genesis-Deuteronomy.
4. Keep a written record of temptations faced this week and how you dealt with them.
5. Suggested reading: The Screwtape Letters. C. S. Lewis, (Macmillan).
Return to Follow-up Bible Studies