1. To help the Christian identify some causes of suffering.
2. To encourage the Christian to persevere through suffering.
A. Genesis 3:16-19
1. What part has sin played in causing pain and suffering?
2. Do you think it was God's will that Adam and Eve sin and experience suffering as a result?
3. What was God's original intent for Adam and Eve in regard to pain and suffering?
4. Sometimes suffering comes as the result of sinful behavior.
B. Job 1 - 2:10
1. What was Job's standing with God?
2. What was the source and the reason for Job's suffering?
3. What did Job see as the source of his suffering?
4. Was his perception correct?
5. How did Job react to his circumstances?
6. Sometimes suffering comes as the result of righteous behavior.
C. II Timothy 3:12-13 / I Peter 4:12-19
1. Persecution is a form of suffering that is inescapable for the Christian.
2. How should you react to persecution?
1. Suffering may come as the result of sin.
2. Suffering may be inflicted by Satan.
3. Suffering may happen randomly without any particular reason because of the fallen nature of our world.
4. The source of suffering is not as important as how the suffering is handled.
1. Memory verse: I Peter 5:7
2. Recommended reading:
a. Would You Kick a Blind Man? by Rubel Shelly (20th Century Christian)
b. When Bad Things Happen To Good People by Harold S. Kushner (Avon Books)
Return to Follow-up Bible Studies