To aid the Christian in knowing more about the nature of God.
A. Deuteronomy 6:4 / Romans 3:29-30
What do you learn about the unity of God from these passages?
B. John 1:1,14 / Matthew 3:16-17 / Matthew 28:18-20 / II Corinthians 13:14
1. What do you learn about the diversity of God from these passages?
2. How do you think it is possible for God and Jesus to be the same, yet different?
3. God's unity is complex. He is not monolithic (without any differences). God's unity is more like the unity of a living organism.
C. The doctrine of the Trinity may be stated in three propositions.
1. God is one God. (Deut. 6:4, Mark 12:29, James 2:19, Romans 3:30)
2. The Son of God is fully God and is distinct from God the Father and God the Spirit. (John 1:1, Colossians 2:9)
3. The Holy Spirit is fully God, is distinct from God the Father and God the Son, and is personal. (Romans 8:26-27, Acts 5:3-4)
1. Memory verse: II Corinthians 13:14
2. Suggested reading: Is The Holy Spirit For Me? by Harvey Floyd (20th Century Christian)
Return to Follow-up Bible Studies